WHAT IS IT?
The F-PAC is a custom designed high capacity desiccant pack used for keeping your filament dry. Contains approximately 2.5 lbs (1130 grams) of desiccant.
WHAT SIZE CONTAINER DOES IT FIT?
It fits virtually EVERY container on the market today. Use one F-PAC for 5 -10 gallon containers, and more for larger ones.The size of the F-PAC is about the same size as a spool of filament.
WHAT DOES IT DO?
The F-PAC is a high performance molecular sieve. It quickly absorbs moisture from the air.
HOW DO I USE IT?
Place your F-PAC inside any air or weather tight bulk storage bin, box, bucket, tote, or container. Where you put it inside the container is not critical. Use one F-PAC for 5-10 gallon sized containers and two or three F-PACs for larger containers. Recharge in a food dehydrator once the desiccant is no longer bright orange.
WHY IS DRY FILAMENT IMPORTANT?
Nobody likes ugly prints with a poor surface finish, so for this reason alone you should be drying your filament, but there are two more important reasons.
First, dry filament produces much stronger parts. You dry your filament to prevent polymer chain degradation, known as hydrolysis. Hydrolysis leads to really weak parts. The strength of your filament is derived from long chains of polymers. When humidity gets into your filament it acts like a knife, cutting up the long polymer chains into much shorter ones. Short chains lead to extremely weak parts.
Once your filament is dry you need to keep it this way at all times, before, during, and after the printing process is complete. In other words, drying your filament is good, but if you don’t dispense it from a dry box it will pick up new moisture in as little as 15 minutes. The F-BOX dries, stores, and dispenses from the same air tight box.
Also, don’t expect your filament to be dry from the factory. It’s not even close. Polyethylene bags are not impervious to air moisture. If you don’t believe me just put an onion in a bag, place in the fridge, and watch it shrivel up over time. It’s drying out because moisture slowly travels through plastic bags.
Second, wet filament leads to an increase in hot end jams. The reason is that moisture changes the melt viscosity of the polymer.With some polymers this may result in increased friction. In other polymers increased moisture may actually lead to less viscosity, but increased porosity and degradation of the polymer chains, primarily due to severe chain breakage. Really wet filament also generates steam, and this will quickly separate the base material.
There are a lot of benefits to using the F-PAC, not the least of which is achieving the best print quality and the strongest parts. It also ensures you get a great first layer bond to your build plate. Here are more:
• Reduces jamming
• Dramatically improves print quality and layer bond strength
• Works with all filament, especially needed for PLA, PETG, PVA (and other soluble support materials), and Nylon polymers.
• Keeping your bulk filament in a container with an F-PAC keeps it dry, clean, and safe
• Saves you time and money, less expensive than smaller desiccant packs
• Prevents PLA filament from breaking before it’s even extruded, very common with wet filament.
• High performance desiccant
• Color changing desiccant to let you know when a recharge is necessary, the orange color is NOT a hazardous substance.
• Recharge your desiccant over and over and over
We spent months and months perfecting the design of the F-PAC. We wanted a see thru design so you could instantly see if your desiccant needs recharging.
- Weight: 2.5lbs (1130 grams)
- Shipping weight: 3 lbs
- Box material: Polycarbonate
- Chemical Description Orange to Green Indicating Silica Gel
- Formula SiO2 + H2O + C25H30ClN3
- CAS (R Phrase Classification) 112926-00-8 amorphous silica 98.2%, activated coloring agent 0.2% max