HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Open the F-BOX and drop in your roll of filament. Feed the filament through the fitting and seal the lid with the four latches.
- Place the F-BOX on or near your printer and feed the filament into your filament drive.
As you can see from the photos you can mount the F-BOX directly to your printer in various ways. We have designed a number of brackets for popular 3D printers.
The F-BOX uses high performance color changing desiccant to quickly absorb the moisture away from your filament. The F-BOX is air tight and is designed to reduce the interior air volume
WHY WE NEED TO USE DRY FILAMENT
Nobody likes ugly prints with a poor surface finish, so for this reason alone you should be drying your filament, but there are two more important reasons.
First, dry filament produces much stronger parts. You dry your filament to prevent polymer chain degradation, known as hydrolysis. Hydrolysis leads to really weak parts. The strength of your filament is derived from long chains of polymers. When humidity gets into your filament it acts like a knife, cutting up the long polymer chains into much shorter ones. Short chains lead to extremely weak parts.
Once your filament is dry you need to keep it this way at all times, before, during, and after the printing process is complete. In other words, drying your filament is good, but if you don’t dispense it from a dry box it will pick up new moisture in as little as 15 minutes. The F-BOX dries, stores, and dispenses from the same air tight box.
Also, don’t expect your filament to be dry from the factory. It’s not even close. Polyethylene bags are not impervious to air moisture. If you don’t believe me just put an onion in a bag, place in the fridge, and watch it shrivel up over time. It’s drying out because moisture slowly travels through plastic bags.
Second, wet filament leads to an increase in hot end jams. The reason is that moisture changes the melt viscosity of the polymer.With some polymers this may result in increased friction. In other polymers increased moisture may actually lead to less viscosity, but increased porosity and degradation of the polymer chains, primarily due to severe chain breakage. Really wet filament also generates steam, and this will quickly separate the base material.
What is it?
The F-BOX is a custom designed drybox for 3D printer filament.
What size spools does it fit?
It fits virtually EVERY spool on the market today. The F-BOX fits 1kg spools and smaller.
What does it do?
The F-Box dries, dispenses, and stores filament spooled on 1kg spools (or smaller).
There are a lot of benefits to using the F-Box, not the least of which is achieving the best print quality and the strongest parts. It also ensures you get a great first layer bond to your build plate. The F-Box also keeps your filament clean and tangle free. The boxes stack and interlock making them the ultimate storage solution.
• Reduces jamming
• Dramatically improves print quality and layer bond strength
• Works with all filament, especially needed for PLA, PETG, PVA (and other soluble support materials), and Nylon polymers.
• Keeps your filament dry, clean, and safe
• Helps reduce filament overrides (tangles)
• Closed loop dispensing through supplied tube keeps filament dry once it leaves the box.
• Save filament and reduce the need for reprints
• Stackable design saves space
• Worry free printing
• Saves you time and money
• Prevents PLA filament from breaking before it’s even extruded, very common with wet filament.
• Exclusive square thru hole allows you to mount the F-BOX directly to any 3D printer! (may require printing a new square post spool holder, STL files available on our website).
• Special seals keep out the moisture and dust.
• Four quick release latches ensure a tight seal
• Open lid design allows for fast filament spool changes
• High performance quick change desiccant cartridges.
• Color changing desiccant to let you know when a recharge is necessary
• See thru box design for easy identification of filament levels, color, type, etc
• Bowden tube fittings allow for closed loop dispensing and custom length tubes
• Stackable, nesting, interlocking design.
• Tightly sealed box to extend the life of your desiccant
• Recharge your desiccant over and over and over.
We spent months and months perfecting the design of the F-BOX. There’s a lot more to this product than meets the eye. Take the spool post, it snaps into the main housing and has two special seals to keep out the elements, while allowing your filament to effortlessly unspool. The lid has four latches to ensure a proper seal. The high quality fitting has dual o-rings to create a perfect seal. The feet allow the boxes to stack and nest.Finally, the exclusive square thru hole allows the F-BOX to be mounted directly on your printer.